I love to fiddle around with a lot of different artistic ventures so I decided that I would blog about my different projects that I have and will do. I hope that everyone will enjoy seeing some of the fun things that I have worked on.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Oh Baby!

I was approached my my cousins husband and asked if I would do a pregnant belly cake for his wife's birthday. At first I was thinking...You have got to be kidding me? Right? A, I hate working with fondant and 2. I have never done something like this and C. Are you sure she is going to like this? All very valid and concerning to me. But After a little research online I decided it would be a new experience and I should go for it. So here are the results.

P.S. I still hate fondant.


So how this was done was actually not to difficult. I took a large metal bowl and used it as a cake pan for the belly and two smaller ones for the chest. I had to make sure I oiled and floured them really well so the cake would come out after it was done baking. Placed the finished cake on a cake board and filled and frosted them. The fondant was a little trickier. You roll it out to 1/4 inch thick then cover the cake. It has to go on smooth or you will just have a big mess. After smoothing out the fondant I pipped a vine on the fondant. and made the brown sash. I finished all the details with luster dust that I brushed on with a fine soft bristled paint brush. and there you have it!!! Options for frosting and fillings are only limited to your imagination and taste buds!!!





2 comments:

  1. you are a straight up, no nonsense, bona fide, professional artist! girl, that is so cool no one will want to cut into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun. Can you give us how this was done?

    ReplyDelete