I love to fiddle around with a lot of different artistic ventures so I decided that I would blog about my different projects that I have and will do. I hope that everyone will enjoy seeing some of the fun things that I have worked on.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Twix

Having been a Pastry Chef for oh 10 years now I am sure you can guess that I love making all kids of sweet things. Today I decided to try my hand at home made candy bars. My favorite is Twix, so I made them.

I started by making a Brown Sugar Shortbread for the cookie part of the candy, then as they baked made my Caramel. Now you can go out and buy the little caramels and melt them and use that but for me homemade is always better. After the Shortbread was out and the Caramel was done I poured the Caramel on top of the cookie and put the whole tray in the refrigerator to set up. 30 minutes later they were ready to cut and dip. Dipping is easier if the bars are cold.

Shortbread:
Ingredients:

1 cup salted butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium speed. Scrape down sides of bowl. Then add vanilla and flour, and blend thoroughly on low speed.

Spread dough out in a cookie sheet

Bake for 17-19 minutes or until the cookies spread and turn a light golden brown. Transfer to a cool, flat surface.

Caramel:
Ingredients:

1 Cup Whipping Cream
1/2 Cup Light Corn Syrup
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar ( Firmly Packed)
1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 TBS Butter ( Softened)
2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

In a 2 quart heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat, combine the cream, corn syrup, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and butter. Stir until the mixture come to a boil (5-10 minutes).

Increase the heat to medium high, place a candy thermometer in the pan an cook mixture until it registers 246 degrees F. (15-20 minutes), stirring Constantly.
Remove pan from heat and pour on to your Shortbread, refrigerate until firm.

Cut into strips then into candy bars. Then dip in Chocolate of your choice.


When I cut my bars I had 2 rows of regular sized Twix and 1 row on Mini Twix.

Thy are to die for!!!!

3 comments:

  1. This makes me want to kick myself... I love Twix and these probably eat store twix for breakfast
    I am totally tweeting this good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really delicious Darcy. One recipe I am going definatly try! Been cutting all the goodies out, but theses look worth it!

    ReplyDelete