I love to fiddle around with a lot of different artistic ventures so I decided that I would blog about my different projects that I have and will do. I hope that everyone will enjoy seeing some of the fun things that I have worked on.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Pinching the Pennies

Today I was sitting at my computer looking at a site I love, as many of us do, PINTEREST!

I am sure a lot of you know what this site is. I know it so well I have to give myself a time limit as to how long I can participate. Although I have found it to be addicting, I have also discovered many great ideas and inspiring people.

As I was looking at all the wonderful things, I saw a pin for homemade laundry detergents. I have seen these before on Pinterest and not once looked at them, but for some reason today a voice in my head said just take a look.. I went to the site and as I looked over the recipe and the directions for making the detergent it hit me...Why the HECK am I spending $40 a bottle for 112 some odd loads at $2.80 a load,when I could make it for pennies a load.

I immediately went to my local Grocer and bought the supplies I would need to make my own detergent.. After doing the math I have found it costs $2.61 for 16 loads, this means it only costs $0.16 pr load. So for 112 Loads it would only cost me $17.92. That is a savings of $22.08. WOW!!!!! I will never buy detergent again! So now on to the, How To!

It is really very simple. You will need the following things before you begin.
-1 Box Borax (makes 9.5 batches)
-1 Box Washing Soda ( makes 5.5 batches) (Arm and Hammer) not baking soda
-1 Bar of Soap (of your choosing) I use Dove.
-1 Large pot (must hold more then 2 gallons of water)
-1 Grater
-1 Funnel
-1 Long spoon





I went to Goodwill and bought a pot, grater, funnel and spoon and only use them for making detergent and other soaps.

-Start by grating 1 bar of soap and placing in the pot with 1 gallon of water and melting. after soap has melted, add 1 Cup of Borax and 1 Cup of Washing Soda, stir and bring to a boil. Take off heat and add another 1 gallon of water. Using the funnel pour your detergent into Gallon water jugs or your old detergent container if you saved it. It will thicken over night. Use 1/2 Cup per load.


* All these ingredients can be found at Walmart or most Grocery Stores in the Laundry isle.

1 comment:

  1. We must be on the same wavelength. About a month ago I made my own using the recipe found on the Duggar's website. It made 5 gallons of soap, which then gets mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with water. Pennies per load!!

    ReplyDelete